Evan L. Thompson
Evan L. Thompson, founder and senior partner, represents businesses, entrepreneurs, executives and professionals. He advises clients on all business related issues including business formation, structure, operations, transactions strategic planning, employment, risk management, litigation and growth. Mr. Thompson serves as outside general counsel to small, medium and large companies and serves clients in a variety of industries including manufacturing, medical services, engineering, real estate development, financial services and construction.
Since Mr. Thompson is both a business attorney and a business owner, he counsels from a business context. Clients frequently comment that they appreciate his approach to problem solving, and that his proposed solutions look distinctively different than what one might see from more generic less business savvy lawyers.
Because Mr. Thompson’s practice consists of both litigation and counseling clients on transactions and related business and operational issues, he is acutely sensitive to the financial and often emotional costs litigation exacts from clients. As a result, he continually seeks creative and cost-saving opportunities designed to achieve his clients’ defined objectives with the least financial and emotional expense.
Evan L. Thompson
Mr. Thompson is admitted to practice in all State and Federal Courts in Arizona and Colorado, including the Arizona Superior Courts, Arizona U.S. District Courts, Colorado Superior Courts and Colorado U.S. District Courts and all State Courts in Texas.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Commercial Law
- Construction Law
- Employer Defense
- International Law
- Medical Law
- Professional Liability
- Real Estate Law
- Represents individuals, consortiums, and entrepreneurs in numerous start-up and early stage ventures in various transactions including recapitalization, stock redemption, minority interest sale, mergers, consolidations, and spin-offs.
- Regularly represents businesses, entrepreneurs, and individuals handling basic and unique legal needs including negotiations and drafting agreements relating to acquisitions, sales, real estate, real estate development, corporate housekeeping, compensation models, confidentiality and nondisclosure, memorandum of understandings and letters of intent, strategic partnering, mergers, finders, resolutions, dissolution and termination, joint venture, executive employment, licensing, supply contracts, distribution, corporate spokesperson deals, employee handbooks, vendor relations, shareholder and buy-sell agreements.
- Successfully represented large contracting company in employment discrimination claim before state and federal agencies.
- Teamed with co-counsel to successfully represent hotel development company against unfounded construction contract litigation resulting in a net payout of zero.
- Successfully represented land seller in fraud claims against developer recouping substantial monetary and property rights judgment.
- Successfully defended construction subcontractor in a multimillion dollar construction defect litigation resulting in a net payout of zero for the client.
- Successfully represented large mortgage brokerage firm in fraud claims resulting in summary judgment being entered after a court of appeals review resulting in a complete dismissal of all claims against client.
- Represented a host of business clients’ in a variety business disputes by and among partners, vendors, competitors, and the like, involving claims of unfair business practices, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and derivatives thereof, disputes with current and ex-employees and executives, real estate developers involved in complex development projects, construction companies including construction defect and professionals in professional liability cases, etc.
- Mediates and arbitrates disputes by and between parties in commercial, corporate, professional liability, real estate and construction matters.
- Bachelor of Science, Business Economics, University of Arizona
- Juris Doctorate, California Western School of Law
Publications, Lectures, News and Speaking Engagements
Mr. Thompson has authored articles and been quoted, depicted, or featured in a variety of business, legal, and entertainment publications, including the following:
- The Tucson Citizen
- The Arizona Daily Star
- The Daily Territorial
- Wake Up Tucson
- Presenter for NBI Seminars
- Presenter Pima County Bar Association
Mr. Thompson is a Colorado native who grew up in the farm country outside Denver. An avid hunter, fisherman, clay shooter and outdoorsman, he enjoys spending time outdoors with his family and close friends. Mr. Thompson makes his home in Tucson with his wife, two daughters and his hunting dog Winchester.